Last week we kicked off the first of the Healthy Habits Monthly Challenge series! I am so excited about doing monthly challenges with you! This month’s Healthy Habits Challenge is drinking water, at least 6-8 cups (2 quarts/ 2 litres minimum) a day! If this is the first time you’re hearing about the Challenge, CLICK HERE for more info!
To keep you motivated and inspired to continue drinking plenty of water every day, in today’s video I talk about the benefits of drinking water, some of the tips and tricks people have shared on Radiance Central’s Facebook and YouTube pages about what works for them, and how the Challenge has been going for me, what benefits I have noticed so far, and what I do every day to ensure I’m drinking plenty of water!
I’m REALLY enjoying this Challenge!
Benefits of drinking more water
- Hydrating your body
- Decreasing inflammation
- Clearer complexion
- Improved digestion and elimination
- Flushing the body of waste and toxins
- Increased energy
- Mental alertness
- Boosting immune system function
- Increase of dietary electrolytes and trace minerals
- Decrease of appetite and cravings
- Reduction of swelling, water-retention, and puffiness
- Overall improvement of health and wellness
Tips on how to make drinking more water EASY:
– Make water easily accessible by filling up a large bottle, jar, flask, jug, or pitcher with water, and keep it on your desk, carry it in your purse, in your car, etc.
– Use large containers to hold or carry the water, so you don’t need to count the cups but rather the large containers instead. For example if you have a large pitcher or water bottle that can contain one litre or one quart of water, better to focus on drinking two of those a day, rather than counting eight separate cups of water (which is easier to lose count of).
– Aim to drink water throughout the day, instead of all at one time of day. For example, aim to drink one litre or one quart of water by noon, then another quart or litre by 6pm, and if you can drink more after, even better!
– Get in the habit of drinking water while doing other daily habits. For example if you have a shower every morning and evening, have a glass of water before and after you bathe. If you walk your dog every day, make it a habit to drink some water when you get home. By connecting water drinking with other habits, it becomes a more integrated habit.
– Make water drinking enjoyable by drinking it out of your favourite glass, jar, bottle, or pitcher.
– Keep note of all the benefits you see and feel from increasing your water consumption – this can be your biggest motivator to continue!
How’s the Healthy Habits Water Challenge going for me?
I’m loving this Challenge! I have to admit, I’ve never been very good about drinking a lot of water. At this stage in my life, since I’m still nursing/breastfeeding my daughter, plus living in hot Bali, I need to be drinking a lot of water (any nursing mother would know just how thirsty it makes you!). Since the Challenge started, I’ve been aiming to drink 3 to 4 litres / quarts of water a day, minimum. This seems like a good amount for me and the climate I’m living in.
There was one day (yesterday), where I wasn’t drinking enough water. By the end of the day, I felt the difference. I was so tired by 6pm, I just wanted to go to sleep! I realized at that point it was because I wasn’t drinking my usual amount of water. Having that one day where I fell off course turned out to be a huge benefit because I got to really feel what the difference was, and re-commit to drinking my water again.
What has worked best for me in making sure I drink my 3 to 4 litres of water a day has been to fill up a large glass pitcher of water and keep it close by. The pitcher itself contains 1.5 litres so I aim to drink one entire pitcher in the morning, and another by dinner time. I might drink more water during dinner and after, but I try to drink the bulk of the water during the day (too much water at night can disrupt sleep).
I have to say that since starting the Healthy Habits Challenge, I feel addicted to water (in a good way). It feels great drinking plenty of water, I look forward to it, and notice a big difference if I don’t. Already in one week I feel it’s definitely getting integrated into my routine, and I look forward to what the coming weeks will bring!
How’s the Healthy Habits Challenge going for you?
Want to do a cleanse??!!!! Join the next 7 Day Raw Food Challenge! 7 full days on a 100% raw food diet will definitely kick start a healthy diet, get the weight loss going, and make you feel and look great!! Once you sign-up, you’ll receive an ebook with Recipes, a full Menu Planner and Shopping List. Once the Challenge begins, you’ll have access to the Private Online Forum and Daily Videos specifically made for the 7 Day Raw Food Challenge. Click Here to join now!– The next 7 Day Raw Food Challenge starts Monday, April 13, 2015!!!